However, next week is going to be extremely fun Several great games, but a lot of interesting OOC games as well. Look at these.
- Kansas @ South Florida
- Georgia @ South Carolina
- UCLA @ Brigham Young
- Ohio State @ Southern California
- Wisconsin @ Fresno State
- North Carolina @ Rutgers
- Oregon @ Purdue
- Michigan @ Notre Dame
- Arkansas @ Texas
- Stanford @ TCU
On to the poll.
- Louisiana State - LW 1 -Off because of the ridiculous weather we have down south, but they will remain number one until they lose.
- Southern California - LW 2 - Off as well. The game of the week (and possibly the year) against OSU is coming up. Can solidify themselves as the team to beat this year.
- Oklahoma - LW 4 - Cincinnatti is a good team. Oklahoma dominated them. The offense is looking unstoppable. They look great, but honestly, they seem to do this to start every season. Is this team for real? I think it is.
- Georgia - LW 5 - Blew through another lower tier team (though not quite a cup cake). Knowshon Moreno looked Heisman worthy. Big game against South Carolina who has seemed to have UGA's number since the Visor came back.
- Florida - LW 3 - Drops two spots due to a lackluster offensive performance against Miami. Miami's defense is very good, but Tim Tebow played poorly in the first half and the running game was almost non-existent. Lots of work to due in the bye week heafing into SEC play.
- East Carolina - LW UR - They were my 26th ranked team last week and that was a mistake. No team has done more than ECU so far this year. I believe they would have beaten Ohio State if they played today, so they jumped 20 spots up to the elite group of teams. Do they stay here? Probably not, but there isn't any reason they shouldn't be this high, this point in the season.
- Ohio State - LW 6 - Quite a scare this week versus Ohio. Does Beanie Wells mean that much to this team? Regardless, this game is forgotten if they beat USC next week. Chalk this up to OSU looking ahead.
- Missouri - LW 8 - Can't tell a lot from a whipping of Random Directional State School. Offense looked terrific as usual and the defense looked good as well. Where do they find these schools though?
- Texas - LW 9 - Watching the UTEP game as we speak. Texas isn't looking great, but the defense is doing its job. UTEP can't get anything going despite playing good defense and making some big plays. Will edit this with the results tomorrow as I'm going to bed.
- Kansas - LW 10 - Don't sleep on this team. They are everyone's one year wonder pick, but that defense doesn't look like it has lost a step from last season. They shut out a La Tech team coming off a win against Mississipp State. Kansas might surprise us all again.
- Auburn - LW 11 - The QB play was much better, but the offense is still struggling to score a lot of points. Southern Miss isn't a cupcake though. Auburn has two weeks to work out the kinks, before the meat of the SEC schedule is reached.
- South Florida - LW 12 - Had a nailbiter with UCF. A drop might be warranted, but UCF was more than Kevin Smith last year. Plus this was technically a rivalry game. Not because of the teams part history, but their close proximity and the fact that most of the players know each other from high school. USF is looking like the class of the Big East so far.
- Fresno State - LW 13 - Off week to prepare for Wisconsin. One of my most anticipated game. Is FSU for real or just another BCS tease? We'll see next week?
- Wisconsin - LW 14 - Off week to prepare for Fresno State. Just kidding, though it might as well have been. Blasted Marshall back to West Virginia. Rough day for the Mountain State.
- Alabama - LW 15 - Very lackadaisical game against Tulane, but coming off the big win against Clemson it is understandable. Should move up in the coming weeks as it has two relatively easy games until it plays Georgia in Athens. That could be epic if both teams take care of business.
- Penn State - LW 16 - Looked amazing against Oregon State, but Oregon State is looking very down this year. I really like PSU and they have a great opportunity to win the Big Ten this season.
- Texas Tech - LW 17 - Ho hum win against Nevada. Texas Tech doesn't have a real legitimate game until Oct. 25th versus Kansas. I'm not buying into this team until they prove they have an adequate defense to go along with that high flying offense.
- Illinois - LW 18 - Dominant performance by the Illini in a game that looks closer due to two fourth quarter TD's by Eastern Illinois. That said, it's Eastern Illinois so not a lot can be gleaned from the game, except for that Juice Williams is looking like the best QB in the nation.
- West Virginia - LW 7 - I really didn't think they would get got surprised by ECU... and they weren't. They were beat by a better team. I still think WVU is a good team, but they looked pathetically inept today. The Big East is very down this year and it can't count on WVU carrying the load this time. Needs to regroup the next few weeks before they play Auburn.
- Arizona State - LW 20 - Looked fine against Stanford. I still think this team is overrated, but we'll see in two weeks.
- Florida State - LW 22 - Shhh, FSU is looking like the best team in the ACC. This is more due to the teams in the ACC looking putrid rather than FSU looking great, but the offense was spectacular against everyones favorite patsy, Western Carolina, in a storm delayed game. FSU should apologize to its fans for its opening season schedule, but this team is going to exceed expecations.
- Wake Forest - LW 23 - Needed some big plays and a little bit of luck to beat Ole Miss. This is not what the ACC needed, especially with Wake Forest looking as the ACC's best team. Ole Miss is looking much improved this season so maybe this game doesn't look so bad later in the year.
- Brigham Young - LW 19 - Everyone will be talking about the penalty, but in my mind it's irrelevant. If BYU was a serious BCS contended it would not have even needed a block extra point to beat Washington. BYU was the trendy BCS buster pick this year, but ECU and Fresno are looking like better bets. Heck, BYU might not even be the best BCS buster from Utah. We'll see.
- Oregon - LW UR - I'm not very high on Oregon, but they have looked impressive so far (albeit very poor competition). Will have a chance to prove themselves in what is looking like an above average Pac10 this season.
- Virginia Tech - LW 24 - In danger of losing it's spot in the poll due to a lazy performance against Furman. However the ECU loss isn't looking nearly as bad as it did. Still one of the top ACC contenders.
POW: Jahvid Best - Bulldozed Washinton State for over 200 yards and 3 TD's in what is looking like a better than expected Cal team.
- South Carolina (25) - Should not have been ranked and that is on me. I thought Smelley was the answer at QB and that the defense was good enough to carry them and I was wrong. Now watch them go and shock Georgia this week.
- Cincinatti (21) - I don't think Cincy is a bad team, but the Big East is looking awful and they really never posed a threat to Oklahoma. Ranking them is not currently justified.
New to Poll: East Carolina (6), Oregon (24)
On the Cusp:
- UCLA -Great game this week against BYU. Was the UT game a fluke, or is there a good (and consistent) team in central LA this year.
- Utah - Took care of business against UNLV. Could conceivably be undefeated going into season finale versus BYU, but not enough challenging games to move up the rankings without others losing.
- California - Looking surprisingly good to start the season. Are they over the nose dive they took last season?
- Clemson - Still a decent team here. Should challenge for the ACC.
- Tennessee - I think UT was a better team overally than last year, but the QB is so bad that it doesn't matter. If their QB improves, this is a bottom of the top 25 team.